Pages

Do I Believe in Online Dating?

A dear friend asked if I believe in online dating? To which I responded, "Great question!" followed by a succinct, "No." The reason I don't believe in online dating is because I believe there is nothing more natural than love. I believe that love shows up when it's time; and, this means when one is ready. Too many singles spend far too much precious time 'looking for love'. Online dating is just one more tool to help them in their search.
However, at the end of the day, there can be many wrong suitors to show up, no matter how right they appear on the surface. There's a good chance if you're over 25, the heart of the newest prospect belongs to someone else. For whatever the reason, the person is probably looking for a rebound mate. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if both of the people involved are completely over a previous relationship; with an unrelenting certainty there will be no sentimental rewind buttons to play.
But, more about online dating. I am of the old-school sentiment. Purely by choice, I haven't been on a quest for love in a very long while; and, I have peace, and enough Harry-Met-Sally stories, and personal experiences, to be confident in believing that when it's time, love will appear. Now, grant it, I could waste energy being in the company of a potential mate; but, many will attest  that poses many risks, primarily someone 'falling in love' while the other is only interested in platonic-ville. You can imagine the unnecessary drama this could create.
So, on behalf of everyone who has successfully found love online; this writing is for the countless others who have their nightmare story or stories to tell.
I end by saying, "Never say never." Will I ever join the online dating club?  Not likely. I think it's a generational thing. I grew up with love showing up, often when least expected. There's simply something unnatural about LOOKING for love.
So with this being the eve of a very romantic commercial day, I say, if you are not with someone this day; know that you are loved by Someone far more genuine than any living, breathing human being on the planet. And, remember when love shows up in human form, the person will be as a mere grain of sand, and God-chosen vessel, for which God will use for His Glory and expression of love to you. Now, if you go looking, and find the wrong vessel which is not yours, imagine what authentic joy you will miss. Finally, with that said, if you feel in your spirit, God is choosing to use online dating to bring your mate to you; then, what are you waiting for? Sign up now!!!

No comments: